False In an era where pets are much like members of the family, it is important that you protect your dog from exposure to things that could potentially make it ill. For potential toxin ingestion my first recommendation would be to call pet poison helpline at 855-764-7661. Species: Dog Breed: Border Collie Mix Age: 1-2 years. Fertilizers used in our gardens to enhance the beauty and growth of our plants can be very toxic to our pets when ingested or exposed to the skin and mucous membranes. In fact, calls about pets eating lawn and garden products were among the top 10 toxin calls to APCC in 2017. • Calcium cyanamide can cause skin irritation and ulceration. I hope that she was able to see a veterinarian if needed. Common signs to watch for: When your dog rolls around in a pesticide-treated lawn, he's not just wiggling with joy. Treatment includes: A thorough examination at your veterinarian’s office Inducing vomiting Xrays (to see if the material has passed out of the stomach or not) Fluid therapy Anti-vomiting medication A bland diet. Follow the manufacturer's directions exactly. *Wag! A healthy and safe canine companion is more important than a pristine and perfect lawn. A dog can be exposed to fertilizer by simply walking across a lawn that has been treated. I will wash his paws when he comes in. Is it possible that he had an allergic reaction to the fertilizer? For example, if iron is present, in addition to bloody diarrhea there can be liver damage, kidney damage, and heart problems. I didn't think it would be an issue as it was old so I am not sure if it will actually fertilize my tree. My dog likes to play in the water while the hose is on. We live next to an apartment building, and they must have spread granular fertilizer last night because it smelled strongly when I took my dogs out. If using a wet product, the solution must be completely dry or you risk exposing your dog to toxic chemicals again. It was in neighbors yard and they don’t speak English so we don’t know what kind. PDF/X-1:2001 My dog drank some water from a depression on land. In the case of a basic fertilizer exposure, the symptoms are mostly gastrointestinal and often will resolve within a day or two. Call the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661 if your dog infests lawn fertilizer regardless if it's "pet-friendly." Depending on their advice you may need to head to the vet as well. He said that it detoxifies the liver and can be administered even if you are not sure about the ingestion. Fertilizer ingestion is common with small animals, reports the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. I apologize for the delay, this platform is not set up for urgent emails. The main therapy involves supportive means to stabilize your dog and control his breathing and heart rate. Thank you for your question. Depending on the length of time of contact and how the fertilizer poisoning occurred, complications can include oral burns and stomach irritation. Good luck. Many cases of fertilizer poisoning involve hospitalization, particularly if the poisoning is extensive. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass seed/fertilizer product about 5 hours ago at approx.3:00. In the future, especially if your dog has palatability for fertilizer or a curious nature, be certain to store all garden and household products out of reach. Some pets find fertilizer to be palatable or may eat the product simply because of their curious nature. uuid:45f4ed80-3af1-4028-aa60-f29ccef392fa Dogs who have consumed a small amount of fertilizer will most often be back to normal in a day or two, but pets who have ingested significant amounts of a fertilizer such as blood meal or rose bush fertilizer where there could be iron, organophosphate, copper, or ammonium for instance, the recovery will be longer. Like overnight she seems more mushy and has yellowish poop . When there are pesticides and herbicides in the fertilizer, the effects can be very serious. Whilst playing, I noticed that fertilizer is spread on grass. If ingested directly from the bag, the results can include tremors and seizures. Lawn Fertilizer Effects on Dogs. application/pdf Aside from the accidental ingestion of a product that the pet finds palatable, chewing on treated grass or licking the fur and feet after a dermal exposure can cause poisonous effects. If you plan to use lawn care products, you may be wondering how long your dog should stay off the grass after fertilizing. Additional signs of distress due to fertilizer poisoning containing pesticides and herbicides can include: Fertilizer typically comes in three forms which are solid, liquid, and granular. I called my veterinarian right away and he told me to administer 4ml Jetepar syrup. We’ve been giving him a lot of water aswell. Some even contain corn or corn cobs as a filler. If it is an oily substance like gasoline, rub vegetable or mineral oil into the spot first, then wash with a mild soap and water. During certain holiday seasons — such as winter and Easter — cases go up considerably, often as a result of chocolate ingestion or cats and dogs eating foods infused with raisins, sultanas and currants. If you feel that you must treat your lawn, keep your dog safely inside as you do so. You can try to give her benadryl at 1mg per pound to see if this helps. It’s best to have your pet checked at the clinic and be sure to bring along the container or product leaflet so the veterinarian can verify the ingredients of the product. This means your pet can go back on the grass after a delayed period of time. For example: Treatment will vary depending on factors such as the type of fertilizer exposure or ingestion, how much of the product was eaten, and how long the fertilizer was on the skin. 2016-04-20T11:12:20-04:00 The main therapy involves supportive means to stabilize your dog and control their breathing and heart rate. Always keep the original packaging on hand in case of accidental exposure. My dog has been throwing up the last two hours. Fertilizer can be quite toxic, depending on the type and the amount that was eaten. • Calcium oxide (quick lime) and calcium hydroxide (hydrated lime) are corrosive. I've contacted the complex to see what kind of fertilizer they're using, but this isn't the first time she's had these symptoms. Do not allow your pet on the lawn after treatment until all traces of any gardening product are gone. A case of mild exposure to fertilizer can result in burns on the pads of the feet if your pet walked through or rolled in your fertilizer application, or irritation to the mouth or eyes after consumption or inhalation of the product you used. Today, I took my dog to a park so we can play some fetch. H��Wks����_q?� ƒx�MgXڱe[�b�I3v�Krc � �de��{�. Ingested a small amount of citrus tree fertilizer. Adobe InDesign CS6 (Windows) It rained all day Monday and half of the day today (Tuesday), I haven’t let my dog on the lawn of fear of poisoning from walking on any of the granules. Organic fertilizers that contain bone meal can cause stone-like obstructions. From 48 quotes ranging from $300 - $3,000. Adobe PDF Library 10.0.1 Anhydrous ammonia is a compressed liquid used as a fertilizer in agricultural settings. • Calcium chloride may cause significant vomiting and diarrhea that requires treatment. endstream endobj 6 0 obj <> endobj 3 0 obj <> endobj 8 0 obj <>/ExtGState<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC/ImageI]/XObject<>>>/TrimBox[0.0 0.0 585.0 783.0]/Type/Page>> endobj 9 0 obj <>/ExtGState<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC/ImageI]/XObject<>>>/TrimBox[0.0 0.0 585.0 783.0]/Type/Page>> endobj 10 0 obj <>/ExtGState<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC/ImageI]/XObject<>>>/TrimBox[0.0 0.0 585.0 783.0]/Type/Page>> endobj 11 0 obj <>/ExtGState<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC/ImageI]/XObject<>>>/TrimBox[0.0 0.0 585.0 783.0]/Type/Page>> endobj 69 0 obj <>stream If you are using a dry fertilizer, keep your dog off the grass until after a rainfall. Reseeding can often keep the weeds in the lawn at bay. He's also picking up whatever residues remain on the grass from chemical treatments.